A prayer for those receiving the sacrament of Confirmation
"Come Holy Spirit, renew the heart of your faithful servant."
That is a phrase I have etched in my heart and is often on my lips in the midst of particular tiring or hectic days.
One day last week I spoke this little prayer out loud. My 10 year old was within earshot. "What was that? What did you say?" he asked.
I replied: "Oh, it is just part of a prayer to the Holy Spirit that I learned a long time ago. I try to pray it especially when I am tired, or things overwhelming or I am frustrated."
"Where is it from?" Dylan asked.
I wanted to answer, "from the recesses of my mind," but I knew that would not satisfy him. I told him I had learned it at school when I was about his age, and I did not remember the rest of the prayer.
As I dropped Dylan off at school on Easter Monday he reminded me, saying "Don't forget to look up that prayer."
Google to the rescue. I found it. It is not quite how my mind remembered it: "Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful, and kindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit, and they shall be created. And You shall renew the face of the earth."
We are now in the Season of Easter. This Sunday evening at the 9 p.m. Mass we welcome Archbishop John Vlazny to celebrate the Sacrament of Confirmation for 14 of our students.
By their actions this year of study, prayer, discussion and retreat, these students have been praying this prayer in their hearts. Little did they know that they are part of God's answer to all of us who have prayed that prayer.
The celebration of their Confirmation presents to this community and the world the dedicated, enthusiastic and fully- initiated members ready to open their hearts to the power of God's love, mercy, hope and healing. Once their hearts are opened they will be filled to overflowing.
And by their words, actions, priorities and values they will renew the face of the earth, starting with the corner in which they live and work.
I had the privilege of spending a retreat weekend with these folks in early March. I can tell you, they did renew my spirit! I am looking forward to this Sunday night and every opportunity after that to join in giving thanks for these "confirmande," their sponsors and the many ways we can cross paths to support and renew each other's hearts and journeys.
Vinci Halbrook-Paterson is the Assistant Director for Faith Formation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Beacon News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE BEACON NEWS
RECENT THE BEACON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge