Valentine's Day on A BUDGET
Don't let Cupid break the bank this Valentine's Day. Be creative and remember that a romantic date doesn't have to be an expensive dinner and a $20 bouquet of roses. Consider one of these budget-friendly Valentine's ideas, or get inspired to come up with your own!
Explore Powell's City of Books together
There's always something new to discover in the world's largest new and used bookstore, located on Burnside St. in Portland. Dedicate a day to sipping lattes and exploring the stacks with your Valentine. Activities could include:
Visiting the self-help section and laughing while you read ridiculous relationship advice books together
Reading cheesy poetry to each other
Sharing your favorite books from childhood with one another
Print a special note in The Beacon
Valentine's Day cards are expensive! $5+ for a glittery piece of cardboard that thousands of other people are giving to their boyfriends and girlfriends for Valentine's Day? That doesn't make sense. Make a statement this year by printing your Valentine's message in The Beacon! Space is limited, so don't wait!
For $2, get a heart-shaped note printed in our Valentine's Day issue. On sale Feb. 7-13 in The Commons.
Get a Groupon deal
If you've never heard of Groupon.com, you're missing out. This website has special offers for goods and services from local businesses at a fraction of the original price. Maybe the typical dinner-and-a-movie date can be affordable after all... Look for deals on:
Fun outings like ice skating and going to the movies
Postpone your date a few days
It's no secret that planning a Valentine's date can be a bit of a hassle. All of your favorite restaurants will likely be full, so if you don't get a reservation in time, you're out of luck or you're eating at McDonald's. Make your day more enjoyable and less expensive by celebrating after Valentine's Day. Benefits include:
Less crowded restaurants
Clearance prices on heart shaped chocolates
Dirt cheap Valentine's Day cards
Have an On-Campus Date
Maybe you and your Valentine don't have the time or money to get off campus on a Thursday night. Don't worry, not all is lost! Here are few things you can do to make a date on The Bluff memorable:
Use one of the dorm kitchens to decorate cupcakes or make chocolate-covered strawberries
Dress up in your fanciest attire and have a dinner date at The Commons
Grab a hot beverage from The Commons and go for a starlit walk along The Bluff
Cook for or with your Valentine
Cooking your own meal is a sure way to save money, but a certain amount of creativity will make the night more memorable. Consider:
Pack up your homemade dinner and having a picnic in Catheral Park, along The Bluff or another place you can watch the sunset together.
Dress up for a home-cooked dinner together and then go out for dessert at a fancy restaurant, like Papa Haydn or The Melting Pot.
Make your own hors d'oeuvres and then split an entrÃ©e at an upscale restaurant.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Beacon News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE BEACON NEWS
RECENT THE BEACON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR