Quotes from this year's Beacon
Feb. 9: Austin Veiga
"People are willing to go without showers for weeks." Regarding water conservation for UP's conservation competition.
Feb. 2: Chris Bates, Lala of the teletubbies
"I have some serious shoes to fill. I'm thinking we'll hold open tryouts to field out the talent." Speaking about taking over for the graduating members of the basketball teletubbies.
Feb. 23: Jonathan Cruz
"I had nothing to distract me. It was like being a caveman again and getting down to business." Addressing how UP's Internet outage caused him to work without the Internet.
Feb. 9: Nico Marquez
"It was more enjoyable because people knew their limits or didn't drink as much. You could actually dance with people, not dance away from them." Commenting on the improved alcohol moderation by students at this year's Dance of the Decades compared to last year.
Feb. 23: Doug and Mary White
Mary: "She feels comfortable being herself here and I can see that." Doug: "Yeah, herself in a galaxy far, far away." While visiting for junior parents weekend speaking about their daughter Hilary.
Feb. 23: Geoff Hernandez, Tennis
"I've had to do some soul searching and had a lot of long walks. Just have to get back into beast mode. The tiger steps back before he jumps forward." On his first lost of the year, which marred his previously undefeated season.
March 1: Jeffery Eugenides, author of "MiddleSex"
"You're going out with somebody in college, after a while you wonder: Why is there always a jar of cranberry juice?" Addressing an audience member's question on how he writes so well from the feminine perspective. He used UTIs as an example.
March 8: Will Ferrell
"I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan. I only watch them every weekday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., so I'm not a crazy person about it." Answering the question of how frequently he watches "telenovas," particularly regarding his role in "Casa de mi Padre."
"Well, I was slaying the Sith one day and Yoda was helping me. As I was about to be taken down by one of the Sith lords, he saved me. We've been friends ever since." Talking about his bond with his stuffed Yoda.
April 12: Alex Hyde
"We only have one bathroom and girls do spend a lot of time in the bathroom. At a certain point I just started to shower in Howard." Explaining a setback of being the only male in his house.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Beacon News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE BEACON NEWS
RECENT THE BEACON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- For Love of the Game -- Smokeless Tobacco Still a Part of...
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards