Catholicism: A tradition of respect for women and femininty
I trust that it is out of ignorance, not malice, that many people accuse the Catholic Church of being a harsh patriarchal religion with a disregard for women. In my experience, Catholicism not only upholds respect for women, it also celebrates the unique aspects of femininity.
It is often pointed out that the Catholic Church is built upon a hierarchy of men. However, what is often ignored is one of the most controversial practices of Catholicism: the veneration of Mary.
Distinct from other religions, Catholicism places Mary, a woman, in a special light, claiming that God blessed her more "than any other created person" (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 2nd edition, p. 124) when he allowed her a very important part in the salvation of humanity by asking her to carry Jesus in her womb.
The veneration the Catholic Church gives to Mary is so intense that Catholicism has actually been (falsely) accused of worshipping her above God! How is that for respect for women?
Some argue that Mary's veneration in the church is based on two "demeaning" aspects: her servitude and her ability to bear children. While it is true that these two aspects do play a part in the Catholic Church's respect for Mary, they are by no means demeaning.
In the Catholic Church, obedience to God is highly thought of. According to the Church, "by her complete adherence to the Father's will, Mary is the Church's model of faith and charity (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 2nd edition, p. 252)."
By saying this, Catholic theology is clearly stating that obedience to God is something desirable, not only in women, but in all members of the Church.
Some people seem to be under the impression that in order for women to be truly appreciated, we must be seen as the same as men. To say that to be respected, we must lay aside what makes us unique as women, is ultimately a continuation of the idea that men are the desired sex.
From this ideology springs the belief that having children is demeaning because it reduces women to "baby makers" and keeps them from being viewed as carbon copies of men.
It is my opinion that real feminism entails demanding the right to be seen as equal to but unique from men. Real feminism is to celebrate and respect not only what both men and women can do, but also the strengths that are exclusive to the female sex.
One of these strengths is the ability to bring new life into the world. One of the ways Catholicism shows its respect for the female sex is through its deep regard for giving birth.
The Catholic Church is often misconstrued as forcing women to be subordinate to men. It is through a deeper understanding of Catholicism and its intense respect for Mary and for human life that we can begin to understand the true regard the Church holds for women.
Ann Cowan is a senior nursing major. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Beacon News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE BEACON NEWS
RECENT THE BEACON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections